During Andrea’s lengthy recovery from surgery Joe has been able to focus more on coding to improve KnitCrate.com on both the front and back end. Although many of these improvements are behind the scenes (e.g., back-end functionality to increase website speed, stability and integration with various APIs), we’d like to share some of the improved and new features on the front-end so you can better utilize KnitCrate.com.
1. IMPROVED SEARCH FUNCTION
- OLD: Our previous search bar was difficult to find and required clicking a small magnifying glass to expand the search box.
- NEW: Our new search bar in the upper right hand corner is auto expanded. Also, based on what you’ve typed it suggests products complete with product images.
- RESULT: Find products easier!
2. BACK-IN-STOCK NOTIFICATIONS
- OLD: Previously sold out items resulted in a “Sorry this product is sold out!” message
- NEW: Sold out items now result in a “Notify me when back in stock” feature so we can email you upon availability. Also, if you’re logged into your KnitCrate store account you only need to click the “Notify me” button (if you’re not logged in then you’ll need to enter your email address). Check it out here (yes, we’re ordering more of this popular yarn!).
- RESULT: Be first in line to be able to order popular products!
3. IMPROVED ORDER TRACKING
- OLD: Upon store order fulfillment we’d send you a tracking notification email so USPS scans could be followed (in the U.S.)
- NEW: We still send a tracking notification email upon shipment, but you can now login to your store account and click the “Track me” button to automatically see where your store order is (in the U.S.).
- RESULT: You don’t need to keep track of your tracking notification emails!
4. PRODUCT SUGGESTIONS
- OLD: N/A
- NEW: We now have a “You might also like” section of products at the bottom of each product page.
- RESULT: Learn about other products that you may not be aware of!
5. LIVE CHAT
- OLD: Customer access to support is critical to any serious business – that’s why we’ve always included our phone number on each page of KnitCrate.com to provide prompt and stellar support. However, some customers are too busy or find it costly to phone us.
- NEW: You can still call us directly in addition to use our “Support” tab to submit a support ticket, but we now have a new “live chat” feature. This chat feature is accessible in the lower left hand corner of any page at KnitCrate.com while we’re available for chat.
- RESULT: Immediately reach us with any questions during normal business hours (and not so normal business hours when we’re working late!).
6. CURRENCY SELECTOR
- OLD: N/A
- NEW: Our international customer base has exploded in the past 5 months. In order to make it easier for non-US customers to estimate pricing after currency conversion we’ve added a drop down currency selector in the top menu bar of KnitCrate.com. This will allow you to switch between USD, CAD, AUS, GBP and EUR. Exchange rates are refreshed twice a day and are pulled from http://www.xe.com Please note that all payments are stil processed in USD using the most recent conversion rate and any conversion fees are the customer’s responsibilty.
- RESULT: No more trying to calculate currency conversions!
7. S&H ESTIMATOR
- OLD: N/A
- NEW: Simply select your country, state/province and enter your zip/postal code to receive the shipping options and estimated cost in your shopping cart.
- RESULT: Know what your S&H fees will be prior to checking out.
8. EASIER ACCESS TO PATTERNS AND/OR VIDEOS
- OLD: The only way to access patterns/videos was to login to your account and click “Manage Store Account” in the header to access the “My Files” link.
- NEW: We’ve added a “My Files” button in the header – after you login just click on your name in the header to access the “My Files” button to directly access your files.
- RESULT: Quicker and more convenient access to patterns and/or videos.
- OLD: N/A
- NEW: New subscribers don’t know that we’re a well established and widely recognized company in the fiber arts industry. Although your reviews do A LOT to help convey our quality service, independent third party recognition is critical. We’ve added a slider to the bottom of our home page to highligh some of the kudos we’ve received!
- RESULT: Improved recognition that we’ve worked very hard to earn!
10. IMPROVED SORTING
- OLD: N/A
- NEW: All collections (e.g., kits, yarns) can now be sorted in various manners like by bestselling, newest to oldest, priced low to high, etc.
- RESULT: Find the products you’re interested in quicker!
11. GENERAL NAVIGATION
- OLD: cluttered menu bar and footer links – too many links in one place!
- NEW: We’ve added a black header bar to highlight new/limited offers so they’re not cluttered in our general navigation bar. Also, our footer is newly formatted for better ease of accessing the information that’s important to you.
- RESULT: Less time to find the links that are important to you!
12. IMPROVED ACCESSIBILITY TO WRITE-A-REVIEW
- OLD: The only way to find a product to write a review was to search through our store and find it
- NEW: You can now login to your store account and click on the applicable order number, which will list all products included in that order. Click on the product name and you’ll immediately be taken to the page to write a review.
- RESULT: Quicker access to write a review, which means quicker access to review benefits like KnitCrate Points, Loyalty Rewards and KnitCrate Direct.
13. SUBSCRIPTION & STORE ACCOUNT INTEGRATION
- OLD: New subscribers had to manually create a store account at KnitCrate.com prior to first ordering product and/or accessing their free patterns/videos
- NEW: New subscribers are now emailed a link to set up a password – their name, email and shipping details are auto populated from their subscription account to create their store account
- RESULT: Utilize store account features like Wishlist, access your KnitCrate Points, quicker checkout and more!
14. CATCH UP PAYMENT AND ADD-ON PAYMENT FLUIDITY
- OLD: Upon a new subscription we emailed you the option to make a “catch up” payment and do an Add-on
- NEW: Upon a new subscription you are automatically taken to a page to authorize an optional “catch up” payment and select an Add-on
- RESULT: Immediate access to “catch up” payments so you can receive your first package quicker (and before we sell out)!
15. SATISFACTION SURVEY
- OLD: N/A
- NEW: After solving a Support ticket you’ll receive an email with a brief Customer Satisfaction survey that lets you provide feedback about your support experience and our support team by rating your solved ticket. The survey has 1 simple question and 2 possible answers. Please take the time to provide your feedback!
- RESULT: Share your love of our stellar customer support – we’ll publish the survey results when they’re available!