Design with KnitCrate
At KnitCrate, we appreciate the work that our designers do: your talents lift up the yarns we feature and turn them into tangible projects our members are excited to make. We strive to be an inclusive and friendly collaborator for the design community and contract between 4 and 10 designs per month of Knitcrate for our crates, shop features and events. If you're interested in designing a knitting or crochet pattern for us, reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to your online shop or portfolio and some details about your design work and style.
Here is a quick outline of everything Knitcrate provides ALL designers who work with us:
- Payment between $175-$700 for designs (dependent on copyright arrangement chosen and design type)
- Inspiration / Mood Board for the month
- Yarn support
- Tech editing (two rounds per pattern), including grading where required
- Marketing & Social Media support on release
- First chance at upcoming event or special design calls
We offer two options for copyright. Every designer can choose what arrangement works best for them:
KnitCrate Exclusive Rights Agreement
Designers are given a fixed fee ranging between $200 - $700 for each design, based on size, complexity, and technique. In this flat fee arrangement, KnitCrate retains the rights for distribution of the pattern, and is allowed to re-publish or release the pattern with new images in the context of new collections, e-book bundles or other formats. KnitCrate reserves the rights to publish on our site, other sites, and to 'loan out' the design if desired to other publications or give it away as a free promotion. Note: the designer's name is ALWAYS credited whenever the pattern is presented.
Shared Rights Agreement
Designers are given a fixed fee ranging from $175 - 550 for each design, based on size, complexity, and technique. In this arrangement, KnitCrate is purchasing the rights to publish the pattern digitally and in print to our subscribers for the given month of collaboration, but the designer retains all rights to the pattern's sale via the KnitCrate marketplace, other sites, and elsewhere. Designers who choose this option still get all the perks of KnitCrate participation, including tech editing, layout, and photography, but have ultimate control over their designs and retain 100% of sales profits for their designs long term.
Through the Marketplace Program, designers are able to take advantage of our high-traffic site and sell directly to new customers through the Marketplace Portal. Once you register and create an account, you can upload any pattern you have designed using any yarn and sell it directly to a new customer base! This includes any pattern for which you have distribution rights (past, present, or newly published). This is an easy and flexible way to work with us and get verified feedback from customers on your patterns directly via the website's rating system.
- No approval or coordination with our team is necessary for this option. Simply click here and sign up: Marketplace Portal
- Designers are responsible for uploading fully tech edited pattern files (PDF) with high resolution photography (300 dpi). Designers are responsible for writing their own descriptions and setting their own prices within the Marketplace. (If it is beyond the means of any designer to do photography, reach out to us at email@example.com and we can arrange to have photography done for you in exchange for a small sales royalty until costs are recouped. Additional services, like tech editing and layout can also be negotiated.)
- Designers will receive payment automatically via the Marketplace Portal whenever a design is sold.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get in touch about working with us!